Monday, March 16, 2015

Book Of Mormon Conversion - 03/16/15 (Charleston, IL)

Dear Friends and Family,

I would like to start off by saying that it has really just been a beautiful week here in Charleston Illinois! It has been in the 50's and 60's most of the week. Today it is supposed to be in the high 70's. It is so nice to actually walk outside now and feel some kind of warmth! It has been way to long since I have had that. 

Elder Phillips and I have been killing it here in our area! This week we picked up 4 new investigators, all of whom are very solid. We started teaching a lady and her daughter who have been reading the Book of Mormon and watching BYU devotionals every morning and even came to church on Sunday. We will probably set a baptismal date with them this week.

We started teaching this gentleman named Duane, who is in his 50's and he used to meet with the missionaries for a while, but work got in the way of his progression and stopped him from being baptized. He has a different job now and is much more free and is ready to get going again with the church!

Last week on exchanges Elder Rausch and I were tracting some EIU College apartment complexes and picked up several potentials including a lady names Jessica, seemed interested and said to come back. When Elder Phillips and I went back a week later, she let us right in and we talked about the Book of Mormon and taught her the Restoration. Jessica is super cool and really open to what we teach and talk about. She was not able to come to church on Sunday because she was in Springfield doing training with the Army National Guard. She is an Army Band member. haha! 

It has been a pretty great week with the work here in Charleston, the area is really booming! There is a lot to do and we stay busy all day every day. But the highlight of my week came from our Investigator Joe!

We started teaching Joe 6 weeks ago when I came into the area, and he has been progressing like crazy! When we visited him Thursday afternoon he had just finished reading through Alma and as we talked and discussed what things were standing out to him as he read. He took us to a verse in Alma that said something to the effect of "Show the Lord your faith by entering the waters of baptism." Then Joe said something I will never forget.. "I am ready to be baptized." I was so happy!! He said that he cannot deny what he has read and felt from reading and praying, he knows it is true and he can see himself changing because of it!

That was a really big testimony builder for me personally.. It is pretty amazing to see the power of the Book of Mormon, and that by reading it who discover who God is and who Jesus Christ is and your relationship deepens and becomes stronger with them. By reading it you learn that it truly leads people to do good and to point you towards Christ. Every Good thing that teaches a man to do good is of God. Therefore the Book of Mormon truly is inspired scripture and because of that everything else falls into place that Joseph Smith was called by God as a prophet and restored Christs church to the earth today. 

As I have been pushing to read the entire Book of Mormon by General Conference I have no doubt gained a stronger witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and of the Church itself. The Gospel is simple. it is Beautiful. It is no doubt true. It just makes too much sense. 

It is hard to believe that I have already been in Charleston for a month and a half! This transfer has just flown by to be quite honest. This Saturday we are going to be getting transfer calls! It is highly likely that I will be staying in Charleston to take over the area. It is also a good possibility that I will become a trainer. I am just going to work hard this week and prepare to lead the area next transfer and whatever news we get Saturday night I will just role with. 

I hope that everyone has a great week and is preparing for General Conference! It will be awesome! Like always, thank you for the support. This next week I will be hitting my 6 month mark. That is crazy! Can't wait to report next week all of the events that will be taking place this week, and to tell you all what will happen in regards to transfers. Like I said It is almost a given that I should be staying in Charleston so anyone can still send letters this week like normal. Love you all.

Elder Chase Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment